Does your local government website break the mold?
Websites aren’t usually top of mind for local government leadership. I get it. Cities, counties, and states are busy keeping our infrastructure sound, our citizens safe, and our society functioning. Too often, however, governments fail to see the value modern technology can bring to their world. At Spectrum Design and Marketing, we don’t create boring websites that serve as bulletin boards. Rather, we look for ways to streamline your in-office processes with technology, organize your website content for the end-user, and create a truly engaging experience for visitors to your site. Using Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Google Analytics, and third-party plugins, we create unique government websites that make a statement.
Award-Winning Minnesota Government Websites
In May of 2017, the City of New Brighton and Spectrum Design and Marketing received the Silver Award for Website Redesign by the Minnesota Association of Government Communications. Learn more >
Do you value diversity and acceptance? If so, does your website reflect that?
Accessibility is Key for Local Government Websites
One of the most important considerations when creating a government website is that it’s accessible to all visitors. Regardless of your city’s size, it’s crucial to have a website that’s easy to find and use. Here are some tools Spectrum recommends for government websites:
- Make your website multilingual: How accessible is your website to English Language Learners? Show your residents and local businesses that you value diversity.
- Utilize strong SEO: Having great content on your website is useless if people can’t find it. We will help ensure your content is written effectively.
- Ensure your site is responsive: Responsive websites adjust their size automatically based on the screen resolution/size of the viewing device. Learn more about responsive design >
- HTML 5: Spectrum websites utilize HTML 5, the most comprehensive coding language. Using this coding structure will give your website a strong foundation for accessibility.
- Images: Using proper alt text for images helps people with visual disabilities experience your website.
- Online Forms: Spectrum will work with you to develop highly-efficient practices that ultimately reduce the amount of time your team spends on these matters. We believe in utilizing modern technology to automate form submission, registration, and more.
Know Your Audience
Creating government websites presents a special challenge in reaching a “target audience.” Unlike small businesses or non-profits, government websites have one of the broadest target audiences around. Your website needs to be equally appealing to octogenarians, millennials, parents, children, professionals, residents, other governments, etc. Spectrum Design and Marketing will kick off your project by gaining a deep understanding of these various audiences. From there, we move into the planning phase.
Spectrum’s Process for Government Website Development
At Spectrum, we understand that developing government websites can rarely be done in the blink of an eye. Government websites serve a crucial role in your ability to communicate effectively with residents, businesses, and other governments.
- Meeting Your Team: Michelle Wheeler loves meeting with city leadership, council members, mayors, department chairs, IT staff, and anyone else who has questions about the website development process. Projects always run smoother when the whole team is on-board, so Michelle will work with you to appease fears and ease into the process.
- Create a site map: Michelle will work with city leadership, including your various departments, to create a comprehensive site map outlining the organization of your new website.
- Refine Content: Once the site map is finalized, it’s time to review content. Whether you’re hiring Spectrum for copywriting services or handling that in-house, we’ll work to ensure all website content meets best SEO practices and presents an intuitive experience for the visitor.
- Intelligent Design: With the site map approved and website content finalized, Michelle will jump into the actual website development. At Spectrum, we specialize in WordPress websites and utilize the Genesis Framework. Learn more >
As City Manager of New Brighton for the past 11 years, I knew that the City needed to start improving its use of social media to connect with the public. An effective, user-friendly website is one of those very important ways of creating those ...Read More
As City Manager of New Brighton for the past 11 years, I knew that the City needed to start improving its use of social media to connect with the public. An effective, user-friendly website is one of those very important ways of creating those connections. Michelle was hired to assist New Brighton with an entire overhaul of its City website. Michelle wisely knew that this wasn't just a website project, but a project that required building relationships with the staff who were very invested in the existing website and somewhat reluctant to change. Michelle connected with my staff, built trust with them and then demonstrated who the City could improve it's website. Effectively connecting with my staff in an up beat and positive way was as important to the success of this project as actually creating a new website. It has been over a year since the City launched its new web site and I can say without hesitation that I would hire Michelle again to redo the City's website!Read Less
Dean R. Lotter2018-02-27
As City Manager of New Brighton for the past 11 years, I knew that the City needed to start improving its use of social media to connect with the public. An effective, user-friendly website is one of those very important ways of creating those ...
So, you’ve heard the term “SSL certificate” floating about the internet, from your IT team, or from your web developer. You know it has something to do with web security. But really though…wha...
Developing a strategic plan is an integral step toward any local government’s success. Serving as a road map for townships, cities, counties, and states, strategic plans outline broad goals and init...